We received a $500 donation from an anonymous donor, which when combined with the $200 in donations we have received over the last year as well as $200 from our own pockets, will allow us to provide a full scholarship to our Diabetic Alert Dog Training Intensive Workshop Class.
- The recipient must have a child, between the ages of 8 and 16, with diabetes (as stipulated by the main donor) for which the dog will be trained for.
- The dog to be used in the class must be stably temperamented, not aggressive towards dogs or people, food motivated and not have anxiety issues when accessing the public.
- Your dog must not be Brachycephalic. Its is unknown whether Brachycephalic dogs can do diabetic alerting so we cannot recommend them as Diabetic Alert Dogs. To find out if your dog is Brachycephalic please check the wikipedia page here.
- The student/parent must blog/write about their experiences (both good and bad) training their own diabetic alert dog.
- Scholarship recipient must be willing to talk to reporters about their experience.
- Your must be willing to commit AT LEAST 60 MINUTES A DAY to training your dog for 4 weeks prior to the class. If you cannot commit to AT LEAST 60 MINUTES A DAY please do not apply, you will not succeed.
- Your must be willing to commit AT LEAST 20 MINUTES A DAY to training your dog for the rest of its life.
- This scholarship only covers the cost of the class. Travel, transportation, hotel, food, training supplies and any other expenses incurred will be paid by the scholarship recipient.
If you would like to apply for this scholarship (the first of its kind) please make and post a Youtube Video about WHY we should pick your child and your dog.
Youtube Video Submission Guidelines:
- Please include both your child and your dog in the video.
- Your video must also mention our organizations name and the scholarship.
- Your Youtube video’s title should be: Diabetic Alert Dog Training Class: Free Scholarship From Service Dog Academy
To officially apply please fill out the following form: