Diabetic Alert Dog 4 Day Weekend Workshop Class – Train Your Own Diabetes Alert Dog / Medical Alert Dog
Student Testimonial: If I didn’t have him Id be waking up to paramedics all the time… or not waking up at all.
See what our students are saying about our program!
FYI: This class is appropriate for those who also want to learn migraine, seizure or narcolepsy alerting with their dogs.
The Service Dog Academy is excited announce an opportunity for those in need of a diabetic alert service dog, but do not live in the greater St. Louis, Missouri area!
Since we have students across the US and Canada who could not make our traditional 8 week diabetic alert classes because of distance, The Service Dog Academy is offering a four-day concentrated diabetic alert dog training course. This is a fantastic excuse to visit the beautiful gateway to the midwest and train your dog in a groundbreaking program at a very low cost!
See what some of our students are saying!
- “Because of my diabetes I required 24 hour supervision and my wife had to quit her job to take care of me. Thanks to the Service Dog Academy’s Diabetic Alert Dog Training Program, she can go grocery shopping without fear that she will come home to a dead spouse.”
- “Before I got Cooper, I was waking up to paramedics around me every 2 months. Thanks to Cooper, In the last 5 months I have not had a single visit from paramedics.”
- “Lily is alerting me regularly and has begun to do so on the bus, at bus stops and other out door locations… I just don’t collapse in stores or on the street anymore because she catches my lows earlier than I usually do and when I am distracted!”
- “[Mary] makes the class fun… So, I travel close to 70 miles to come to class for you… One way.”
- “I cannot function without Citka. If I didn’t have him Id be waking up to paramedics all the time.”
- “I was a little bit skeptical of this, all positive training, and I have been extremely impressed with it… I have had nothing that wasn’t success”
- “Malla saved my life… If it had not been for Malla’s training… I reallly don’t think I would be here today.”
What You Will Learn In Our St. Louis, Missouri Medical Alert Dog Training Class
- alert to low blood sugars in your home
- retrieve sugary drinks to correct blood sugar imbalances
- retrieve your meter
- retrieve your insulin
- go get human help during a low
Intensive Diabetic Alert Dog Student Quote: I interviewed her a couple of times before signing up for her program. I was skeptical to say the least. I am so very glad I enrolled and so very glad we finished the course.
Medical / Diabetic Alert Dog Class Details:
- Class fee is $1299 per diabetic alert team of 1 dog and 1 human student (children under 16 years of age do not count as human team member).
- Observation fee of $899 for anyone over 18 years of age attending without a dog
- There will be a 6 dog cap to ensure more student to teacher attention
- Class meets in beautiful Waterloo, Illinois a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri and only a 25 minute drive from downtown St. Louis
- All training is done using only methods approved by the AHA
- You will have 3 hours of instruction per day and be required to do an additional 2 hours of homework per day on your own.
- Class registration includes a search for a positive reinforcement trainer in your area to continue service dog related access training.
- Class registration includes 4-30 minute SKYPE appointments. One to be scheduled prior to class, the others to be scheduled as the student has questions.
Medical / Diabetic Alert Dog Class Student Requirements
- Your dog must be human and dog-friendly
- Dogs that show signs of true aggression will be dropped from the course WITHOUT A REFUND
- Your dog must have basic obedience skills unless under 5 months old
- You must be willing to commit up to 5 hours per day to training while attending the Workshop.
- Your dog must be in general good health. A dog’s health can dramatically affect its ability to do nose work.
- You will need to bring 4 days worth of treats as well as 4 days worth of high value chew items. See our class supplies page for details
- We will allow no more than 1 adult student per dog. Adult students are students over the age of 18.
- Your dog must not be Brachycephalic. Its is unknown whether Brachycephalic dogs can do diabetic alerting so we cannot recommend them as Diabetic Alert Dogs. To find out if your dog is Brachycephalic please check the wikipedia page here.
Intensive Diabetic Alert Dog Student Quote: Mary is like a breath of sunshine after a stormy stormy winter. She exudes a level of enthusiasm that is infectious. Her love of teaching and training is evident in everything she does.
Why are we teaching classes this way?
We have participated in several training programs in other areas of the country and have noted the following issues of which we hope this class will solve.
- Lack of critical foundational skills prior to students entering the classroom. Students are promised that by the end of a single weekend they will have a fully functioning diabetic alert dog. Well in our opinion you cant train a diabetic alert dog in a weekend. It takes time to build up pavlovian responses in a dog and you cannot do it in a single weekend.
- VERY large student to trainer ratio. This makes it hard for students to get the one on one attention they really need to be successful. We are training dogs to save your life, not to make money.
- LONG training days. Have you ever been at a multi hour multi day conference and experience total complete utter exhaustion and find yourself not learning what you came to learn because of information overload? Dogs are just like we are, they get tired after a couple of hours of training and learning and just end up burning out. Information overload can lead to you and your dog missing key training skills that could be LIFE saving. Over training can also lead to your dog becoming disinterested in your low blood sugar scents, something that can be disastrous to your overall goal of having a dog that is super excited to tell you that you are low.
- Lack of reference materials. Once you get home and start applying the skills you learned at the workshop, it really sucks to find out that you didn’t write down that one piece of information that could help you solve your problem. We hope to solve this exact issue by providing you with a foundational skills reference manual and a problem solving matrix that will hopefully allow you to take any problem and break it down into its easily accomplishable tasks.
Additional Class Details:
- You will be required to do at least 20 minutes of homework every day for 1 month BEFORE the start of the class.
- This class also includes one half an hour SKYPE appointment to be done in the 2nd week of class. This SKYPE appointment is required for your success.
- Three follow up 30 minute SKYPE sessions are included in the price of this class so that you may ask questions and successfully continue training after leaving class.
- You will be required to do at least 20 minutes of homework every day for for the rest of your life to keep up the training!
- You will be required to document your training after the class ends so that we can make sure the skills taught in class are being practiced.
- If your dog has anxiety or fear issues and/or is a naturally nervous and fearful, until those issues are resolved they will not be successful in this program. Just like humans, when dogs are afraid they are going to DIE, they will not be able to perform their job functions. Please do not enroll in this program if your dog is fearful, anxious or aggressive in any way.
- You MUST be committed to using ONLY positive reinforcement methods. If we find out that you have been training using prong collars, choke collars, shock collars and/or physical punishment after enrolling in the class YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DROPPED FROM THE PROGRAM WITHOUT A REFUND.
- You MUST be willing to fundamentally alter the way you are feeding your dog. We work using food a as motivator. If your dog is not food motivated you will not succeed in this program. We can work to create a food motivated dog if your dog is not already food motivated but you must be willing to reduce your dogs overall food consumption, especially if your dog is overweight.
- If your dog has a consistent history of refusing to eat food in dog training classes, this class is not recommended for you.
- This class is only the beginning of a series of classes to teach your dog to reliably alert to diabetic LOWS in your home. You cannot be given enough training in a single weekend to create a diabetic alert dog that can alert in any environment and distraction level. Additional training WILL be necessary.
- This program does not guarantee a 100% success rate. Anyone who does is LYING to you. Success depends on a combination of your training skills, your dogs training skills, your ability to follow through with the program, your dogs bond with you, your dogs innate personality, etc.
- Since you will be receiving training material 30 days prior to the start of the class, REFUNDS WILL NOT BE GRANTED LESS THAN 45 DAYS PRIOR TO THE START OF THE CLASS. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Register today! Spots are limited!
St. Louis, Missouri July 2016 Class – July 1st – July 4th (Registration must be completed by June 3rd!) CLASS CANCELLED SO WE CAN #CARPELIAME
Hours: 1:00PM – 4:00PM
Location: Waterloo, Illinois
|Start Date||Class Dates||Class Time||Enrollment Conditions GUARANTEE||Type Of Spot||Spots Left||Register Here|
|7/1/16||7/1/16-7/4/16||3 hours per day||BY ENROLLING IN THIS COURSE YOU GUARANTEE THAT YOUR DOG HAS NEVER BITTEN A HUMAN NOR ANOTHER DOG. YOU ALSO GUARANTEE THAT YOUR DOG IS NOT AGGRESSIVE IN ANY WAY TO HUMANS OR OTHER DOGS. IF IS DISCOVERED IN CLASS OR ON LOCATION THAT YOUR DOG IS AGGRESSIVE YOU IMMEDIATELY FORFEIT YOUR RIGHT TO A REFUND AND UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO CONTINUE TRAINING. THE TRAINERS DECISION IS FINAL AND IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DEBATE OR RECONSIDERATION.||Participant With Dog||5||CLASS CANCELLED SO WE CAN #CARPELIAME|
|7/1/16||7/1/16-7/4/16||3 hours per day||THIS TYPE OF CLASS REGISTRATION IS PERFECT FOR DOG TRAINERS LOOKING TO LEARN TO TRAIN DIABETIC ALERT DOGS. INDIVIDUALS WHO REGISTER FOR A SPOT WITHOUT A DOG WILL BE PARTNERED WITH THOSE WITH A DOG. DO NOT BRING YOUR OWN DOG WITH YOU. THERE WILL BE NO WHERE TO KEEP YOUR DOG WHILE YOU ARE TRAINING. ADDITIONALLY, IF APPROPRIATE, YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO ASSIST STUDENTS WITH TASKS YOU HAVE EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE IN.||Participant Without Dog||2||CLASS CANCELLED SO WE CAN #CARPELIAME|
Airfare and accommodations are not included in the cost of this class, but when compared with the cost of an already trained diabetic alert dog (which could cost upwards of $20,000) this is a wonderful opportunity!