We are a real dog training school. We have rules, a chalkboard and actual homework!
Service Dog Academy Class Enrollment Policy.
By completing your enrollment, you are agreeing to this policy’s terms and will be held to the terms and conditions in this form.
Enrollment is on a first-come, first served basis and full payment is required at time of registration to reserve a space in class. Please read our cancellation, attendance, behavior and refund policies before enrolling.
Physical punishment and or the use of dominance methodology is not allowed in or out of the classroom environment.
Dog Health Requirements
Please make sure your dog has been examined by your veterinarian for general health, is free of external and internal parasites, and has had all vaccinations as recommended by your veterinarian. If your dog will be performing physical tasks for you please make sure your dog has been throughly examined by your veterinarian and can perform these tasks without physical harm to the dog.
Because we are dealing with people’s livelihood through the use of a service dog in order to protect all participants in a class, we reserve the right to decline entry to any dog who presents behavior issues that may be overly dangerous or disruptive. If behavior issues are discovered during the class and the trainer determines that it is in everyone’s best interest that your dog be removed from class, you will not be provided a refund. The trainers decision is final and is not eligible for debate or reconsideration. Fair warning of this policy is written on every class description page.
If the minimum enrollment for a class is not met 3 days prior to the session, the session will be cancelled. We will notify you 3 days before the session was scheduled to begin to see if you would like to enroll in an alternative class, receive credit toward a future class, or receive a full refund.
Refunds will only be given if
- Classes are cancelled by Service Dog Academy
- You cancel your enrollment in a pet dog training class more than 72 hours in advance. If someone can be found to take your spot you will only be charged a $25 processing fee. If no one can be found to take your spot you will be charged half of the class enrollment fee.
- If you are taking the Diabetic Alert 8 week class and you cancel with more than 14 days notice you will be given a refund minus a $100 processing fee. If you cancel less than 14 days you will not be given a refund.
- If you are taking the Diabetic Alert 101 – Intensive 4 Day class and you cancel with more than 45 days notice you will be given a refund minus a $100 processing fee. If you cancel less than 45 days in advance you will not be given a refund.
- Student health makes it impossible to continue training. We recognize that disabilities can sometimes be unpredictable we are only able to offer a refund if your health status severely worsens and makes you unable to fulfill the class and training requirements. Refunds will be given on a case by case basis and will require doctor verification on the doctor’s/hospital’s letterhead with the reasons why training cannot continue. Refunds will be prorated at the rate of $36.25 per class minus the processing fee listed below. No refunds will be given for ANY Diabetic Alert Dog Training class.
There are no refunds for missed classes.
There are no refunds on unused puppy play sessions.
There is a $25 fee for all returned checks. If you’ve paid with a credit card and are eligible for a refund, a $25 processing fee will be deducted from the amount refunded.
If you miss a class please contact the trainer to discuss what was covered. Missing more than two classes will be considered dropping out and you will forfeit your class fee. Our classes are taught as a series; therefore, drop-ins and make-up classes are not permitted. Students who were not pre-enrolled in a class can join at the trainer’s discretion, provided there is space available in the class.
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted without instructor permission unless the service dog is being trained for them.
Waiver and Release
I understand that participating in the Service Dog Academy training involves risks of personal injury and/or property damage to myself, to my dog, to members of my family and to accompanying friends. I assume all risks associated with participating in this training. I agree to comply with the instructions, rules and decisions of the Instructor(s) as it relates to myself or to my dog’s ability to safely complete the training. I certify that my dog is current on all vaccinations, is parasite free and is able to perform disability mitigating tasks without physical harm to the dog.
- The nature of the self training program and that I am solely responsible for the behavior of the dog I train.
- That participating in training sessions does not guarantee that my dog will be certified as a service dog nor be able to perform their trained tasks 100% of the time.
- That even though my dog has been trained to perform tasks for me, that if I do not keep up the training as instructed by the Service Dog Academy that my dog may revert back to an untrained state or perform tasks incorrectly.
- That my dog may be dropped from the training program if they display anxiety or aggression.
- That my dog may be dropped from the training program if the training or the use as a service dog may result in physical or mental harm to the dog.
- That a trainer’s decision to drop the dog from the program is final and is not eligible for debate or reconsideration.
- That if my dog is dropped from the program I am not eligible for any reimbursement for time or money.
- That dogs are living beings and as such will not act perfectly in all situations.
- That dogs are living beings and are therefore subject to outside influences that may change their behavior. This may lead to the need for additional training at any point in their service life.
- That participation in this training program does not guarantee the mental or physical health status of the service dog being trained.
- That temperament tests and evaluations does not guarantee the mental or physical health status of the dog nor its ability to function as a service dog in the future.
- That although service dog usage has been shown to improve both mental and physical health status, that participation in this training program and/or use of a service dog does not guarantee improvement in the physical or mental status of the participant.
- That physical punishment in the training of my dog will not be tolerated and I will train using only humane methods.
- That if I use physical punishment in the training of my dog, I may be dropped from the program.
In consideration of, and as inducement to the acceptance of my application for training, I hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Service Dog Academy, Mary McNeight and their officers, directors, instructors, agents, employees and/or representatives harmless of any and all claims, or claims by any member of my family, or accompanying guests of mine, injury, expense, costs or damages to myself, my dog or any handler sponsored by me, arising out of or in connection with or in any way related to training, even though the liability may arise out of negligence or carelessness on the part of the individuals or entities released in this Waiver and Release.
I agree that I will defend and indemnify the Service Dog Academy, Mary McNeight and their officers, directors, instructors, agents, employees and/or representatives for any injury, expense, costs or damages to any dog handlers or dogs, whether sponsored by me or not, or to third parties arising out of my own actions or the actions of my dog.
I agree that the risks of training have been fully explained to me, and I have been advised to consult with my veterinarian regarding the health risks involved.
I also understand that the Service Dog Academy, Mary McNeight may use for publicity or promotional purposes, my name and pictures of me or of my dog without liability or obligation to me. I have read, understand and agree to the above.